Manuscripts and Archives at Yale is currently working with a consultant on
investigating FrameMaker, first as a tool for producing quality printed
output from EAD-encoded files, and secondly as a possible data entry
front-end.  Our results to date have been encouraging on the first front,
enough so to push ahead on the assumption that we will be successful in
implementing a finding aid printing operation from EAD files in the next
few months.  The second investigation is much less promising.  After a
brief investigation, it appears that we would need to purchase the
FrameMaker developer kit to implement an effective WYSIWYG data entry front
end with this product.  We have decided to put this part of the project on
the back burner for the moment since there are a number of other effective
options for producing EAD encoded finding aids through either direct
SGML-aware applications or through conversion scripts and macros run
against data entered into templates.

FYI, FrameMaker is not cheap.  Our license for the basic package (with
educational discount) was $786.  Nor is it easy to pop out of the box and
set up - at least it wasn't for us.  Our consultant, with a bit of help
from Adobe, was finally able to create an EDD file (FrameMaker's equivalent
of the dtd), something which had stumped us despite our best efforts to
decipher the documentation.

As we get farther along, we would be happy to share our experiences with
anyone else thinking about generating print output directly from EAD
instances.

At 07:04 PM 4/29/1999 +1000, you wrote:
>Has anyone,
>1. used the EAD DTD with Adobe Framemaker+SGML 5.5? If so, what were your
>experiences?
>2. developed a Framemaker application file(EED)based on the EAD DTD?
>
>Before creating a Framemaker application file for the EAD from scratch, can
>anyone point me to an existing one they might be prepared to share? I will
>be using it for a postgraduate research project, not for profit.
>Regards
>__________________________________
>Chris Blackall
>Graduate House