I would be curious to hear the experiences of others on the list with
scanning of existing finding aids.   I have read several reports of very
good experiences like that which Dan reports but have quite poor results
ourselves (using various OCR software including Omnipage).

Perhaps it's because so many of our inventories are older and were produced
on manual and electric typewriters.

95% accuracy rates sound good until you realize that this means that every
fourth or fifth word has a typo.  And the spell checker doesn't seem to help
much with inventories that contain a lot of names.

Michael

Michael Fox
Head of Processing
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul MN 55102-1906
phone: 651-296-1014
fax:  651-296-9961
**NOTE NEW AREA CODE EFFECTIVE JULY 12, 1998**