Can anyone provide guidance, rule citation, customary practice, or
advice on whether a federal library can accept a gift of a collection
of books (or even one book for that matter) directly from a private
source or donor?

Our administrative attorney has stated that we can't accept a proposed
donation because our agency does not have specific gift acceptance
authority.  See Principles of Federal Appropriations Law, GAO, Chapter
6.  This has a very general application, but perhaps there is
something else that allows federal libraries exceptional or special
rights as to books and similar reference materials.

I'm aware that some agencies do have such authority stated in
appropriate statutes or rules, such as the Library of Congress.

Thanks for any clues.

Eugene Ferguson
Eugene Ferguson          | EXPORT-IMPORT BANK OF THE UNITED STATES
[log in to unmask] | Research Library & Information Services
Tel: 202-565-3981        | 811 Vermont Ave. NW, Room 966
Fax: 202-565-3985        | Washington DC 20571  U.S.A.