                From:   [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]
                Sent:   Wednesday, April 14, 1999 7:50 AM
                To:     Multiple recipients of list FEDLIB
                Subject:        Can federal libraries accept book gifts?

                Can anyone provide guidance, rule citation, customary
practice, or
                advice on whether a federal library can accept a gift of a
collection
                of books (or even one book for that matter) directly from a
private
                source or donor?

                Our administrative attorney has stated that we can't accept
a proposed
                donation because our agency does not have specific gift
acceptance
                authority.  See Principles of Federal Appropriations Law,
GAO, Chapter
                6.  This has a very general application, but perhaps there
is
                something else that allows federal libraries exceptional or
special
                rights as to books and similar reference materials.

                I'm aware that some agencies do have such authority stated
in
                appropriate statutes or rules, such as the Library of
Congress.

                Thanks for any clues.

                Eugene Ferguson

                Eugene Ferguson          | EXPORT-IMPORT BANK OF THE UNITED
STATES
                [log in to unmask] | Research Library & Information
Services
                Tel: 202-565-3981        | 811 Vermont Ave. NW, Room 966
                Fax: 202-565-3985        | Washington DC 20571  U.S.A.