The United Methodist Church Arch vies - GCAH is pleased to announce our new
finding aid site which makes use of  ead sgml instances.  We currently have
16 finding aids up, but will be adding more in the near future.  We
generate the instance from our           database using a minimal number of
tags.    The instances are placed into a specific directory and then
indexed using Iindex and searched by Isearch.   Both of these programs are
part of the Isite package and are free and available from the CNDIR site
(http://vinca.cnidr.org/software/Isite/Isite.html) as a set of compiled
binaries, or you can get the most recent source code from ASF
(http://asf.gils.net/).   The software is all part of the Open Architecture
movement.    Using perl we created an interface between         Isearch and
the web user by which the search results are returned.  We also created a
simple perl script  to convert the sgml instance to html on-the-fly.  We
hope to improve that routine in the future.

I wish to thank many of you who have helped us and answered our questions
as we have developed this site.   If the site is not perfect (and I'm sure
it isn't) it is not because of bad advice, but from our inability to
listen!   The on-line catalog can be reached at: www.gcah.org  I wish to
thank you all again.

L. Dale Patterson                             email: [log in to unmask]
Archivist                                          Voice: 973-408-3189
United Methodist Church Archives      FAX: 973-408-3909
Madison, New Jersey 07940              Web site: http://www.gcah.org