At Duke we used EAD for cataloging in our Historic American Sheet Music
Project ( http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/sheetmusic/ ) and will be using
the same approach for forthcoming projects which contain advertising
ephemera.
I handled the problem of bibliographic type elements with attributes as
Michael suggests.
The sheet music records were created as WAIS-indexed text files, which were
converted to
EAD.  An example of the use of attributes is origination which could contain
composer, arranger, engraver, lyricist, etc., these were indicated using the
label attribute.  The publication information was marked using name elements
with role attributes.  A sample record from the sheet music project follows.
More information and samples are available at:

http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/sheetmusic/techinfo-scanning.html#database

<c01><did>
<unitid type="Collection/Call Number/Copies">Music A-2810; copy 2: Music B.
228 no. 21</unitid>
<unitid type="Files">a2810</unitid>
<unittitle label="Title">Family cottillions first sett</unittitle>
<unitdate label="Publication Date">1856</unitdate>
<origination label="Composer">Wallis, W. C.</origination>
<origination label="Engraver">Gillingham; Webb</origination></did>
<dao entityref="a2810"></dao>
<item>Pagination: 5</item>
<item>Plate no.: 2888</item>
<note><p>Copy 2: Provenance: Sue P. Armistead, Scotch Hall, N.C. Dance
instructions</p></note>
<controlaccess><head>Subject Headings</head>
<list type="simple">
<item><subject source="othersource" othersource="HASM Subject Content">Dance
music--Cotillions</subject></item>
</list></controlaccess></c01>

Stephen Miller
Duke University