Yes - this works with applications that don't use a compiled DTD - it
works here at least with Dynaweb and Dynatext, and parses with nsgmls.
However, the problem is with products that precompile their DTDs, as
Adept Editor does.  While these are capable of picking up extra entities
from the declaration subset, they cannot register switches of the
INCLUDE/IGNORE type, so you are stuck with whichever way the switch was
set when the DTD was compiled. The compiled DTD used on loading a
document is set by the FPI alone, so while it would be possible to
compile two versions of the DTD, one for <did> the other for <drow>,
unless you can have two FPI's to distinguish them the editor will only
ever use one of them.

Richard