Print

Print


Thanks, I see what you're trying to do now. You want
to use the EAD DTD "out of the box" because, for whatever
reason, you don't want to use a copy of the DTD which
differs in any way from the officially sanctioned version.
This includes changing the switch from nontabular to tabular.
What you would like from SAA is two things actually: you'd
like them to officially make available two versions of
the DTD--well, four actually if you take the xlink inclusions
into account as well, no reason not to--and then four different
FPIs.

You're right, you can't include that sort of thing in the
DTD subset with Adept. You can't do it in Author/Editor
either, or WordPerfect SGML.

Alvin Pollock
Lead Programmer
Online Archive of California
http://sunsite2.berkeley.edu/oac
[log in to unmask]


At 09:54 AM 6/10/99 +0100, you wrote:
>We have just been working in a slightly different way (bit of a habit
>here ...)
>Whereas you switch both versions on, our DTD remains unchanged.  For
>those finding aids using the tabular version, the FPI at the top of the
>file has two lines added to the declaration subset thus:
>
><!DOCTYPE EAD PUBLIC "-//Society of American Archivists//DTD ead.dtd
>(Encoded Archival Description (EAD) Version 1.0)//EN" [
><!ENTITY % tabular        'INCLUDE'>
><!ENTITY % nontabular     'IGNORE'>
>.....
>]>
>
>which just inverts the standard settings, switching off the non tabular
>and enabling the <drow> method, without requiring any editing of the DTD
>itself.  Thus we have either/or, where you have both (I think this is
>the difference).  This method works with Dynatext.  The problem I had
>encountered was that Adept did not pick up the two lines in the
>declaration subset and thus did not do the switch.  When I raised this
>with their support, they confirmed that the compiled DTD will not accept
>switches in the declaration subset.
>
>I preferred the method given above because it did not require editing of
>the DTD itself, and possible confusion that could result from that.
>
>Richard
>
>Alvin Pollock wrote:
>>
>> I still don't understand the problem. We've used AdeptEditor
>> for many years. Compile your DTD with the tabular markup
>> switch to INCLUDE. You will be able to encode both tabular
>> and nontabular finding aids using just the one DTD. Adept
>> will validate both types of finding aids. Your sentence:
>> "compile two versions of the DTD, one for <did> the other
>> for <drow>" I think is misleading. It implies an either/or
>> situation, that if you compile the tabular version, <did>
>> is no longer available, but that's not true. It's true that
>> you cannot compile *two* DTDs with the same FPI but I guess
>> I'm unclear on why you cannot use just one DTD to encode both
>> types of finding aids. I'm very interested in this because I
>> personally don't want to have to deal with multiple DTDs and
>> FPIs.
>>
>> Alvin Pollock
>> Lead Programmer
>> Online Archive of California
>> http://sunsite2.berkeley.edu/oac
>> [log in to unmask]
>
>