Hi Arnold,
Thanks for providing great material for quotes!  The 99 Fellows don't know
how lucky they are to be hearing advice from Those Who Have Gone Before!
Judy

At 10:26 AM 07/08/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>Some unsolicited advice from a '98 participant:
>
>The week goes by fast.  There is so much to do.  Yes, I know these are
cliches, but
>they are nonetheless true.  Try to slow down the process by taking good
notes (on
>the word processor, of course) and by dividing up some of the tasks with your
>partner.  I found that the most valuable part of the entire Institute was
in meeting
>a whole bunch of smart, dedicated, like-minded educators.  I wrote down
many email
>addresses, and have corresponded with some colleagues throughout the
school year.

>As far as creating the lesson plan goes: don't obsess over it.  While
you're in DC
>it is sufficient that you and your partner familiarize yourself with the
resources
>of the American Memory collection, then conceptualize an idea and a general
>structure for something that will interest your students.  There is more
than plenty
>out there, so the process of just narrowing down your focus will take a
lot of time.

>Finally: have a good time.  How many chances do you get to leave the
Significant
>Other at home, leave a note explaining What to Feed the Kids, and hang out
for a
>week with a terrific group such as this?  The answer, in case you're not
paying
>attention, should be: "Not many."  So work hard during the day, but then
>your room, nap-shower-change, then go out and enjoy yourself.  Or else.
>
>Arnold Pulda
>'98 Fella

Judith K. Graves
Educational Services
National Digital Library Program
Library of Congress
Washington, D.C.  20540-1320
[log in to unmask]     (V)202/707-2562   (F) 202/252-3173
http://learning.loc.gov/learn/