Elizabeth,

It wasn't the url that I was typing in, it was the assumption of the
program that because I used the word 'oral' that I was looking for 'oral sex.'
Interestingly enough, the search *results* were not reflective of the
assumption of the advertising controller.

At 03:13 PM 7/13/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>The newer browsers (Netscape Navigator's newer versions, anyway) now have
>"most popular" sites pre-programmed so that if you enter just "whitehouse"
>in the address box you get <http://www.whitehouse.gov> (The White House
>website) instead of <http://www.whitehouse.com> (an "over 18" site).  I
>think this started with Netsapce Navigator 4.5.  Might be a good reason to
>update your school's browsers over the summer.
>
>Betty
>
>At 09:36 AM 7/13/99 -0700,
>  Carolyn Karis <[log in to unmask]>  wrote:
>>
>>Dear all,
>>I had a similar experience but not with Excite.
>>
>>The problem seems to be with search word choices and being careful about the
>>choice of .com vs .org  and .gov
>>
>>It's important to include the correct domain ending.  Some browsers will
>>automatically assign the .com to the URL search and so create problems.
>>
>>Our students had located a great map on the USGS.gov site.  When another
>>student wanted to relocate that site he typed in www.usgs (without the .gov)
>>and got a porno site.  Seems that porno web people tend to co-opt the great
>>sites like White House and USGS and turn them from a .gov site to a porno
>>.com site.
>>
>>All of this points to the need for teachers to teach search techniques.
>>Carolyn Karis

Ron Stoloff

If the gods had intended Man to fly, they wouldn't have given us
railroads.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
{                   Check out these web sites:                  }
{                                                               }
{                              New!                             }
{         Edison/Fareira's New Oral History Web site:           }
{           http://members.xoom.com/b_stoloff/oral              }
(                            [NO WWW]                           }
{                                                               }
{                In the Library of Congress, see:               }
{           Immigration/Migration - under construction!         }
{    http://www.edc.org/CCT/NDL/1998/lessonplans/98lpmain.html  }
{                 For the Edison Cluster, see:                  }
{             http://edisoncluster.phillynews.com -             }
{            I'm responsible for the Population page!           }
{           Need a place to get help with your computer?        }
{                 See this Computer Club Web Site:              }
{                http://www.pacsnet.org/index.shtml             }