carOline wrote:

> Hello, List,
>
> Here at UCLA, we are starting to edit our SGML files and would like to know how
> to customize MS Word '97's spell-check to ignore all sgml tags [and their
> contents]. If this involves too much programming, does anyone know of any Text
> Editors with spell-check that one can set to ignore sgml tags?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Caroline Cub� / Genie Guerard
> OAC/CDL

Caroline:

Not sure about modifications to bloated and expensive M$ product, but a
text-editor known as NoteTab <http://www.notetab.com> will happily
spell-check your documents and ignore anything between '<' and '>'s,
providing that your file extension (.sgm, .sgml, .xsl, &c.) is
"registered" under View>>Options>>HTML Files.

By so "registering" a file extension in Notetab, all elements,
attributes and comments assume colours that distinguish them from
regular text: so called "syntax highlighting."

Re. too much programming: NoteTab is highly configurable and makes use
of a powerful but quite simple scripting language. Eg. with a single
mouse click I can calculate the total extent of a collection from adding
together the element values of <extent> at various levels in the
document hierarchy. I consider that pretty nifty for a $20 editor...but
then emacs is free.

regards,

Stephen

--