I don't know if this is the only source of your problem, but the formal
public identifier you have for entnotat is not correct.  It should be

"-//Society of American Archivists//DTD eadnotat.ent (Encoded Archival
Description (EAD) Notation Declarations Version 1.0)//EN"   And be sure to
use the latest version of the file.

Also try rendering GIF in lowercase in your entity declaration.  xml is case
sensitive.

Michael

Michael Fox
Head of Processing
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd West
St. Paul MN 55102-1906
phone: 651-296-1014
fax:  651-296-9961
**NOTE NEW AREA CODE EFFECTIVE JULY 12, 1998**