        FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH--

        At Saint Louis University Law Library we have the policy of
retaining subject hdg. data unless we can demonstrate some inaccuracy.
There are a couple of reasons for this practice.

        1) We recognize that we work in a database which is used
internationally and not everyone speaks English.  Libraries contribute
subj. hdgs. in Portuguese as well as French and Spanish, and doubtless we
will be seeing more languages soon.  Even in the U.S., some communities
may find future language-enhanced hdgs. useful.  WE DO NOT ASSURE ACCURACY
FOR ANY NON-ENGLISH HDG.

        2) We assume that we are working with intelligent colleagues who
are able to distinguish these hdgs. and remove them if so desired.
Furthermore, many local systems either strip off undesired hdgs. or do not
index them anyhow.

        3) The way the guidelines are written, one would be lead to
believe that we should do wholesale deletion of MeSH hdgs. as we encounter
them in our work ....  Hardly a practice that would be of service to the
medical community!

        4) One should remember that these non-English language libraries
ALWAYS have the capability of adding their subject terms to pcc records.
In other words, we can create an English-only bib record and 5 minutes
later the U. of Sao Paulo can add its Portugese hdgs. and we'd never
know ... guidelines or no guidelines.  They add them to LC records every
day in OCLC and no one blinks.

        My feeling is ... retain if not wrong.   Don't assume they're
wrong.

        RCAmelung

Richard C. Amelung                                (314) 977-2743
Head of Technical Services                  Fax:  (314) 977-3966
Saint Louis University Law Library
3700 Lindell Blvd.                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
St. Louis, Missouri  63108