The contract for the federal technical information center  which I manage will
expire during the first quarter of Y2K.  The current contractor is no longer
eligible to bid on the contract.  A local college has expressed an interest in
bidding for  the contract.  I vaguely remember this subject being discussed some
time ago and would like to hear comments from any federal library or TIC  that
is currently contracted by a college or university.  If there are academic
librarians that are members of this site and have shared experiences, I'd like
to hear from you, too.

I am especially interested in the relationship between the federal TIC and the
college/university library.  If the staff at the federal TIC is considered to be
a faculty member are they govern by the policies/procedures of the school?  Is
the TIC staff ever called upon to substitute for the academic staff?  Does the
TIC operate as a 'branch' library?

Please address your responses directly to me unless you feel others are
interested in this subject as well.

Cheryl Martin